“A man’s best friend” and a common family companion, is the dog. Do you think you know your dog pretty well, you’d be surprised to find out there are a lot of facts about dogs.
Want to know more? Here are 40+ facts about dogs:
1 Dogs Poop in Alignment with Earth’s Magnetic Field.
2 The world’s oldest dog died at age 29. – Wikipedia
3 On average, a dog’s mouth exerts 320 pounds of pressure.
4 A guy is 3 times more likely to get a girl’s phone number if he has a dog with him.
5. Humans and dogs first became best friends 30,000 years ago. – source
6. Dogs can see in the dark because of the tapetum lucidum, a mirror-like membrane in dogs’ eyes. There are light-and-motion sensitive cells in the retina that are referred to as rods, which can tell the difference between light and shadow.
7. Dogs can hear 4 times as far as humans.
8. Every Dog’s mitochondrial DNA is 99.9% the same as a gray wolf. – source
9. In English-speaking countries, the most popular names for dogs are Max and Molly.
10. Dogs and cats only sweat from their footpads and nose.
11. When dogs howl, they adjust the pitch according to what other dogs’ howls sound like so that theirs can appear unique.
12. Dogs have 13 blood types, horses have 8, cows have 9 while Humans only have 4. – source
13. A dog’s sense of smell is 10,000 times stronger than humans. – source
14. Dogs have only 10 sounds in their vocal repertoire, while Cats have +100.
15. The only dog unable to bark is the Basenji from Central Africa.
It is thought the ability was bred out of them because a barking dog would have historically betrayed people’s presence to enemies. The noise they make when excited is often described as yodelling.
16. Humans and dogs are the only two species known to seek visual clues from another’s eyes. And dogs only do it with humans. – source
17. The Nazis tried to teach dogs to talk and read. – source
18. Google prefers dogs to cats. Their official code of conduct specifically states they are a dog company.
19. Husky dogs have been banned from Antarctica since 1994. – source
20. Dogs don’t like rain because the amplified sound hurts their sensitive ears.
21. 3 dogs survived the Titanic sinking out of 12 canines on board. – source
22. Licking is a way for a dog to demonstrate they are submissive towards someone who is more dominant than they are.
23. Dogs were used as messengers in WW1, carrying orders to the front lines in capsules attached to their bodies. – source
Facts about Dogs
24. The smallest living dog in terms of length is a chihuahua who measured 15.2 cm (6 in). – source
25. Trained Dogs can sniff out prostate cancer with 98% accuracy. – source
26. Dogs enjoy rolling around in dirt or rubbish because the odor masks their own smell. This was useful in the wild when hunting prey and trying to avoid being hunted themselves.
27. The average dog is as intelligent as a two-year-old child. – source
28. About one million dogs are the primary beneficiary in their owners’ wills in the U.S. – source
29. 30,000 dogs a day are slaughtered in China for meat and fur.
30. Dogs and elephants are the only animals that seem to instinctively understand pointing. – source
31. Laika, the first dog in space, did not die peacefully as initially reported by the Soviets. She died because of the cabin overheated. – source
32. A dog’s nose is the equivalent of a human fingerprint: each has a unique pattern.
Facts about Dogs
33. Dogs can learn and understand over 150 words.
34. The Chow Chow and Shar-Pei both have black tongues, but the reason why is a mystery. They are thought to be the only two dog breeds that do, as every other one has a pink tongue.
35. Dogs wag their tails to the right when they’re happy and to the left when they’re frightened. – source
36. Dogs can locate a sound source in 6/100ths of a second.
37. Newborn dogs are born blind and deaf. Most puppies open their eyes and respond to noises after about two weeks.
Facts about Dogs
38. The Labrador dog is from Newfoundland and the Newfoundland dog is from Labrador. – source
39. Once a dog hits the age of 10, its chance of dying from cancer is 50%. – source
40. Only 5% of dogs experience dental decay, compared with 90% of children. – source
41. A dog’s shoulder blades are detached from their skeleton to allow for greater flexibility when running.
42. One “dog year” is not equivalent to 7 human years. Dog’s age at various rates, depending on their size. – source
43. Dogs have more than twelve separate muscles that control the movement of their ears.
44. The tallest known dog, as of 2010, was a Great Dane who measured 1.092 m (43 in) tall. – source
45. Dogs can tell the difference between happy and angry human faces. – source
46. Dalmatians are white at birth. Their first spots usually appear within 3 to 4 weeks after birth
47. Dogs can tell when people are untrustworthy and will stop listening to a person if they prove unreliable. – source
Photo from Pexels